Tuesday, June 11, 2013

5 chickens and 2 ducks

I have wanted chickens for a looonng time. My mom has chickens and the eggs are soo much better! And better for you. And my kids have wanted a pet their entire 7, 5 and 3 years of existence. So when my mom and dad were visiting, I finally got brave enough to just go buy some. The kids each picked one out. Maddux really wanted one of the ducks so we got 2 ducks. And when they are babies they are really cute! But Not for long though. 
Oh man they have caused quite some drama in our house. Bodey killed one, on accident I'm sure as he is 3 years old. And then he hide it in the toy box. Lots of tears and anger, as it was Jadyns chicken that was killed. And lots of hurt feelings all the way around. I'm sure all of my children are scarred for life from the experience. 
The ducks were gross they pooped way more than the chickens and they stunk. They kept spilling the water and they were growing twice as fast as the chickens. I had to change the shavings once a day because the dang things were in my house. They were finally moved to the garage. Then there was lots of me pestering Pat to build a chicken coop so we could get them out of the garage. 
A chicken coop was halfway constructed, when one night something got them. Maybe a coyote, maybe a raccoon, maybe just a cat but the scene was bad. Worst of all Bodey found 2 of them all bloody in the garage. My 3 year old now thinks of death as nothing. It's awful. And I have horrible guilt. 
Jadyn loved one named blacky. Loved loved him. She cried for days. It wasn't fun. Only one survived. His name is Yellowy although he is actually white. And he or she, (not sure) is one loved and spoiled chicken who doesn't lay eggs. Ha ha what a mess that adventure was. My poor chickens, my poor kids!