Monday, February 10, 2014

Things I forgot

I took Jadyn to pick out her school valentines tonight. This was hard for me for several reasons.

1. I knew she would beg to spend more money than the allowed amount of $10 for school valentines.
 (she did)
2. I knew she would be super indecisive and take an extremely long time to pick the perfect valentines.
(she did)
3. I knew it would have been a 1,000 times easier for me to just grab some fun dips she could write her name on. Like I grabbed a bag of heart airplane candy for Maddux.
(it would have been)


I'm not going to lie and say it was mother/daughter bonding time. It wasn't. It was painful to my patience. In order for me to work on my patience with Mrs. slow I like to put myself in her shoes. Aka, I try to remember what it is like to be 8. So I told her all about my valentines when I was in second grade. Things I had forgotten. I told her how Zach Basset had made me a special valentine. A large heart made out of paper with starbursts inside. It was made special for me, he had different valentines for the rest of the class. I told her how he had asked me if I wanted to go "out" on a piece of paper a week earlier.

And then I laughed and laughed because I had forgotten all about "going out" I still don't really understand what it really means. Jadyn just looked at me, like I was weird. I think the valentine shopping experience was as equally painful for her as it was for me.